- Platform Online
- Duration 32 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Seats 50
- Start 08 May
- End 30 Sep
- Week Days Anyday
- Time Anytime
In this hands-on specialization, you will explore basic graphic design elements, color theory, images, publication design and techniques for creating effective layouts. You will also learn about typography, the creative process, the importance of brainstorming, and how to discuss and critique design in a professional setting. Page layout software and online sites will be used to incorporate and manipulate text, color, photographs and images. If you are curious about the design process, work on a team with designers and need to speak some of their language, or want to empower the creatives on your team to be even better, this specialization is made for you.
- No background experience required! Be ready to learn and explore
offered by University of Colorado Boulder, When you finish every course and complete the hands-on project, you'll earn a Certificate that you can share with prospective employers and your professional network.
- Discover techniques for working and communicating with graphic designers and other creative professionals.
- Analyze basic design concepts to apply in the professional setting, including typography, color theory, image selection, and layout best practices.
- Design foundational creative projects, including business card, brochures, ads, websites and manuals.
- Appreciate the study of design layout and conceptual elements concerning design projects.
- You will design a business card or one-sided flyer, an advertisement, a brochure and an outline for a website. In addition, this course will include optional discussions with fellow students and a peer review process for each assignment. We encourage you to take advantage of all of these opportunities, and immerse yourself in the design process!
Instructor Lori Poole earned a bachelor’s degree in public relations and journalism from Auburn University where she also obtained a master’s degree with a focus on organizational communication. While working full-time in the corporate arena, she earned another bachelor’s degree in art studio with concentrations in graphic design and photography. In addition to the educational arena, Poole has experience with editorial, corporate, and non-profit communication. She started her career in the journalism field at Southern Living magazine, developing numerous monthly publications and other editorial assignments, in addition to website development. She has also worked as a writer and designer in the non-profit sector. Poole also worked as a creative manager, overseeing a team of writers and designers develop and complete company-wide projects and advertising campaigns for a large regional financial institution.